Greenwich is generally described as being part of South-east London and sometimes as being part of East London. It is also one of the five boroughs of the London Docklands, connected to areas with docks of London historically by river and today to Canary Wharf and other buildings by the East London Line.
Greenwich is 28.1 miles from Grand Central Terminal and the average travel time from Grand Central is 57 minutes (though expresses run as fast as 38 minutes).
As of August 2006, weekday commuter ridership was 2,804, and there are 1,274 parking spots (none owned by the state, unlike most other railroad stations in Connecticut).
The Penn Central Transportation Company opened the current station building on March 5, 1970, replacing an older structure which was demolished. As built the new building was a two-story structure with 8,550-square-foot (794m2) of space. The station was the centerpiece of Greenwich Plaza, a new mixed-use retail development.
Greenwich/ˈɡrɛnᵻtʃ/ is a town in Fairfield County, Connecticut, United States. In 2006 Greenwich ranked #1 in the "Biggest Earner" category. As of the 2010 census, the town had a total population of 61,171. As of a census done by the Census Bureau on July 1, 2012, the town had a population of 62,256. It is home to many hedge funds and other financial service companies. Greenwich is the southernmost and westernmost municipality in Connecticut and New England. It is 38+ minutes by train (express) from Grand Central Terminal in Manhattan. The largest town on Connecticut's Gold Coast, CNN/Money and Money magazine ranked Greenwich first on its list of the "100 Best Places to Live in the United States" in 2005. The town is named after Greenwich, a borough of London in the United Kingdom.
The town of Greenwich was settled in 1640. One of the founders was Elizabeth Fones Winthrop, daughter-in-law of John Winthrop, founder and Governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony. What is now called Greenwich Point was known for much of the area's early history as "Elizabeth's Neck" in recognition of Elizabeth Fones and their 1640 purchase of the Point and much of the area now known as Old Greenwich. Greenwich was declared a township by the General Assembly in Hartford on May 11, 1665.